CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Dad is in Business - the theater business that is...

My dream has come true. The SunRiver St. George, Inc has accepted my proposal to create my own "Senior" theater here in SunRiver St. George. For those of you who don't know where SunRiver St. George is, it is located just south of St. George, Utah and is an over 55 Senior Golf Course retirement community. Patti and I moved here after we got home from our mission. It have been my dream to open my own theater so I can select the best theater works out there. You see, when Patti and I were at the St. George Musical Theater we could only do musicals. With this new theater we can do it all.

Let me tell you about our new theater. Its name is SunRiver St. George Senior Theater Company and is housed in the SunRiver St. George Recreation Facility. We have a beautiful stage, and a hardwood floor ballroom which will be the seating area. My title is Artistic Director and will be the chairman of the Artistic Board for the next two years. My initial responsibility will be to establish a Board of Directors whose responsibilities will be to finance the theater through gifts, grants, and income. They will be the watchdog over the growth of the theater which will, hopefully, outgrow our current facilities and lead to a new theater complex. The Artistic Board will be made up of professional, semi-professional actors, directors, music directors, choreographers, costume designers, etc. Their job will be to select the productions the theater will perform, select the production staff (directors, choreographers, music directors, etc.) and oversee the professional quality of the productions being presented.
The senior theater concept in the United States is relatively new. There are only about 700 nation-wide. The actors have to be over 55 years old and all the scripts are written for senior actors. Many of the scripts are written in for short vignettes in the 15 to 20 minute duration. Using the same subject matter, multiple of these can be put together to form a show.
This theater will allow people like me who are too old for leading rolls in a standard theater format to find new and exciting rolls as a senior.

I have purchased many senior scripts. I have identified many more to include musicals, reader’s theaters, comedies, murder mysteries, dramas, you name it. This field is exploding. If you want to see what kind of theater is available go to seniortheater.com and you will see just some that are available.

Well that should give you some idea what is in store for me for the next couple of years and then who knows.
Love DAD

2 comments:

Lady Bills said...

CONGRATS DADDY! i am so happy that your life-long dream has come true... it just goes to show you that it's never too late!

Lynar said...

Thats Great Uncle Doug! Congratulations! I am so inspired by our family who follows their dreams no matter what age!
Love ya,
Beth